Am I a Dutchman?

Long ago I knew how to speak my mother tongue,
it was clear as the morning song bird,
fresh as the east coast sea breeze drifting into my room...

I was the Dutchman.
Strong and foolish I was, am and probably will be...
A rugby fanatic, a castle swallower as well as a barbeque zealot...

So what made me leave for far shores unknown?
I left for 2 years yet only 11 hours flight away,
those that knew me thought I’d be back the following day...
...but I did not.

I was transformed, it is my unusual knack in life to...
become what I see... to adapt to what surrounds me...
...I seem to evolve away from that which I was.

So much so I seem to even loose my accent!
The very thing that shows I am “supposedly” a Dutchman!
If I didn’t tell the pommie he'd never know...

I’ve transformed, I’ve evolved...
...but haven’t I progressed too?

No... I’ve turned my back on my heritage...
...Who would recognise me now?
...Standing in the middle of the place I once called home?
...I’ve returned from distant shores, my time there come to an end.

Yet I smile broadly when I walk into the house and the first words I hear is...
...”Jah, jou Dutchman, hoe lyk dit met ‘n braaitjie?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The contents of the blog, its pages, including all text and images, unless otherwise stated, are the sole property of the author (Jacobus Gideon Hanekom) and may not be used, reproduced, or reposted in any manner without written consent. All rights reserved.